Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cattle Camp Visit and More


Yesterday we visited a temporary cattle camp just outside Tonj.  There were lots of cows (I found my Majok! the cow I am named after), lots of ripped young men, lots of dancing, and a bit of wrestling competition.  Again, we were very popular visitors.  We all at one point danced with the cattle men and women.  It was a lot of jumping/hopping.  The cattle men dance and wrestle multiple times a day this time of year, and eat and drink lots of meat and milk.  Many of them are very lean and strong.  The Dinka have a culture of aggressiveness, competition, etc and they still carry the tradition.  Sebit says the fierce nature of the culture is part of what allowed them to survive the war (and I still see it in the clinic...proud people, no tears, no crying).  However it also makes them very stubborn as well.

On Thursday we plan to visit the Bongo tribe, where there should be more cattle camps.  This weekend we were invited to preach at three churches (including the compound church), but this is too much for us; Sebit and I will be preaching between the compound church and the ECS Church.  The weekend after we may preach at the military base nearby.  Tyler, Missy, Joe, and John leave this Friday.  It will be sad to see them go.  Tyler has been a great roommate and friend.  August 1 the pastors return for the Bible school.  Sebit and I will be very active teaching them until I leave August 13.

Furthermore, last week one of the national clinic staff members, my good friend Deng, committed his life to Jesus!  The clinic and compound employs a number of Sudanese men and women and I have really enjoyed revealing Christ to them in whatever way possible.  Sebit and Suzy plan to have me disciple a number of them in the upcoming weeks.

No comments: