Friday, July 2, 2010

A Brief Description of my Weekly Activities

I just wrote a blog about last night's outreach to Agor, but I have not yet described what I do on a typical day.  Every weekday I work in the clinic, often with Jessica and Richard (a Sudanese compound worker named Mobit).  First we do wound care: cleaning and dressing old and new wounds.  This usually occupies us until 11 or sometimes past noon.  Afterward we do baby immunizations for OPV and DPT.  On a busy day we'll clean 12-15 patients' wounds and immunize 20 babies.  Since the clinic opened in about 2005, it has registered over 15,000 patients in Tonj and the surrounding region.

Mondays are our busiest days, since we are closed (except for emergencies) on Saturday and Sunday.  Wednesday and Friday are also busy, and Tuesday/Thursday are generally slower.  In addition to this, on Thursdays half of us go to Malony to operate a mobile clinic in the village there.

I am usually unneeded in the clinic by the mid-afternoon, at which point I rest, write, blog, play, watch the World Cup, read, study scripture, or pray.  Sometimes I get to do errands with Sebit around town, announcing outreaches and such.  And each evening we usually have some weekly event planned, whether a time of prayer/worship, a movie night, a game night, etc.

Saturdays are kind of miscellaneous to me, and could be a lot of things.  Sundays we have church in the compound, with lots of little children, and someone teaches from the Bible (last week was Sebit).  Sunday afternoon is also a time of rest and fun, family-style, with the team.  Last week we went with Sebit and Suzy and the kids to the swamp (actually very scenic) and had a picnic.  Below is a picture Tyler took of me sneaking up on Dut, our security officer.

No comments: