Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Under the Weather and God's Work in the Clinic

The weather has been relatively pleasant for us Californians.  We have had rain almost every-other-day since arriving, which makes for cooler weather at night.  By "cool" I mean low 70s.  When it is hot, it's upper 90s, although I don't have a thermometer with me.

Tyler Paulson and Missy Nickerson have both been very sick for a day in the past week.  Our immune systems have been to adjust to African germs since arriving.  Both of them were completely knocked out for a 24+ hour period.  I lost a lot of sleep one night with a fever, but that is about it; I've had it easier.  Diarrhea is often an issue, so we are encouraged to talk about our poop a lot.

Last week I learned a lot about how to work in the clinic: dressing wounds, working the pharmacy, giving shots and vaccinations, etc.  This week I am learning how to meet the spiritual needs of patients.  When Jesus began his ministry he said, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe the gospel," and what I love about this is not only did Jesus come proclaiming the message of the kingdom (the gospel), but he also brought the kingdom of heaven into peoples' lives (healing, freedom from oppression, food for the hungry multitude, etc).  Right now I am how to appreciate both of these truths in my day-to-day activities in the clinic.  Medicine can care for the physical needs of patients (although even then it is limited), and now I am finding opportunity to meet that with the spiritual: with prayer, encouragement, and the Word.

P.S. The World Cup outreach has been postponed due to technical difficulties and poor weather.  When it rains in Sudan, everything stops.

No comments: