Wednesday, June 23, 2010

First Update from Tonj, Sudan

Today I arrived in Tonj, Sudan!  The team and I flew from Nairobi, Kenya this morning with Missions Aviation Fellowship (MAF) through Juba and into Tonj in South Sudan.  The sights of the African bush were quite amazing from the air: an amorphous blend of grass, tree, and floodplain speckled with rural huts and aluminum shelters.  Halfway through we crossed the Nile as well.
Upon landing in Tonj we were met by Sabet and Suzy Kuj along with a number of their staff and friends.  We were then driven to the compound, ate a pumpkin-soup lunch, toured the facilities, met all the staff, and were given an orientation.  I estimate the compound is at least 5 acres large, although I have not walked through all of it.  All our housing and living facilities are contained in the interior, which is then flanked on a couple sides by either the medical facilities, or land set apart for future projects.  In Deed and Truth is in the process of building a new permanent medical facility, and has plans for digging “boar-holes” (a very deep well) or other projects.

There are many Dinka men and women who volunteer at the compound, including some men from Kenya who mostly help in the medical clinic.  Right now there are over 25 of us staying at the compound, though that number will decrease in the upcoming days as previous workers go home or take a break.  When we were being introduced to the current staff, we were each given a Dinka name.  My name is Majok, which translates as a cow with a black head a white torso, and a black lower half.  The Sudanese men had a lot of fun naming us.

At 5:00pm we had a heavy downpour of rain that lasted less than an hour.  By San Diego standards is was comparable to El Niño.  There are also lots of (flying) bugs.  The 90+ degree weather also means that I live swimming in a thin film of sweat.  I just took a shower and dried off, but am already sticky again.  It is very humid after the late evening rain.

I am sharing a room with Tyler Paulson, a good friend from San Diego.  Our roof leaks in one spot, but is otherwise fine, and we sleep under mosquito nets for protection from bites and malaria (we are all on malaria medication, which is effective, but limiting our risk to exposure is still wise).

Tomorrow each of us begins with our duties around the compound.  I have been assigned to wound care/cleaning for the week, which I am very excited for.

I have internet access while here, although it seems to fail randomly throughout the day, and mostly at night.  I am writing this blog on Tuesday, although the internet is out at the moment and I’ll have to post later.

AND, my brother will be very pleased to know that we have a TV connection and can watch the World Cup.

Certainly another update is forthcoming after working in the clinic and seeing what my time here will look like.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, what a coincidence! I'm planning to be in tonj, sudan in the next two weeks. i do photography. where and how did you find housing? i couldn't locate any hotels in tonj.
chika oduah
http://chikainkenya.wordpress.com
csoduah@yahoo.com