Saturday, June 26, 2010

Goat Blood, Racing, and Sutures

This morning was a special morning.  When Sebit and Suzy have a team with them it is tradition to slaughter a goat and eat it for dinner.  No one really wanted to do it, so two days ago I volunteered.  Suzy has one goat in particular that really annoys her, so we picked that one.  They are smart enough to know when they are about to be slaughtered, so it made a lot of crying for a half hour this morning as we prepared and Sebit sharpened the knife.  Two compound workers pinned it down on a clean metal plate and exposed it neck...and omitting some descriptive words that may unsettle some of my readers, I slaughtered the goat.  I made it quick.  It was very bloody.  If anyone would like to see the pictures or a video I can show you in the states.

This morning before the goat slaughtering, a few of us went on a run with Sebit and Suzy.  Sudanese do not exercise, because they live lifestyles of exercising (walking many miles, carrying water, farming, etc).  So it is a peculiar thing for us to run in the morning; but we enjoy saying "Cheebak" (good morning) to all we encounter on the road.  This morning, on the return, a boy named Kuol decided to run with us crazy white people.  I caught up to him, and then we started racing.  He was fast! and much more fit than I am.  But we had much fun running together, and I practiced my Dinka with him, and he his English.

On Saturdays the medical clinic is closed except for emergencies.  This morning a seven-year-old boy came in who had injured himself with a farming hoe.  He had lacerated his big- and index-toe very deeply, and needed stitches.  I was lucky enough to be doing an errand in the clinic when he came in, and Caleb, our equivalent to a Physician Assistant, invited me to watch.  I also got the medical schooling twins to observe.  The boy was very afraid, and cried out very much.  There was pain, but it was very increased by his fear; dying by a spear is greatly feared among the people here, so the notion of being "speared" by needles and sutures is sometimes very concerning.  He was given local anesthesia, and Caleb stitched him up.  One and a half toes into it I got a little queasy and stepped out for some air.  I saw a lot of blood today, including the goat, and I needed a break.  I have seen and studied these things in textbooks, but never in person.

Tomorrow we are doing a "World Cup Outreach" at a local church, where we will be broadcasting the games using our satellite dish.  During halftime Sebit will be sharing the gospel through a series of "commercials."  Right now Tyler, Sebit, myself, and a handful of others are filming them using my video camera.  Pray for a great response tomorrow!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like quite a day Daniel!
I hope the best for you and all your experiences in Sudan.
Good Morning!